Based on my observation, i discovered majority get stuck while working on PC? Sometimes, this may be due to various junk files, malware, virus and unwanted software.
In this article, i have outlined the ten golden tips to tweak slow running windows computer. Before you do this, make sure that you close all running programs.
1. Delete Temporary Files- To delete temporary files on you windows computer, you need to follow these processes.
- Press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard, it will open the run window.
- Type %temp% and click okay.
- Now select all files by pressing ctrl + a key on your keyboard, and hit delete to delete them.
You wont be able to delete some of the files because they are currently in use by some running programs. So just skip them
2. You need to delete all old prefetch data on your computer – Prefetch is a feature, introduced in Windows XP and still used in Windows 10, this feature stores some important data about the applications you run so as to help them start faster.
- To do this, Open the Run window by pressing the windows + r key on your keyboard.
- Now type “prefetch” without quote and hit enter or select ok.
- This opens a folder contaning all the prefetch files.
- Press ctrl + a to select all the files hit delete on your keyboard to delete them. If it request for permission, click continue.
3. Run a full Virus Scan – You definitely need to run a full virus scan on your computer in order to detect some related threats. These may cause your computer to be slow in performance. There are bunches of free malware scan programs on the internet that you can use to scan and detects threats on your computer such as Malware bytes.
Download from here
4. Disable Startup Programs- When you start your computer several installed programs loads at startup, and this slows down windows turning on performance, it is best to remove startup programs, be sure that you do not disable some of the startup programs like antivirus.
- Pres windows + r key to open the search window
- Type this keyword “msconfig” without quote.
- Navigate to Startup [If you are using windows 10, it will instruct you to go to task manager], uncheck all except antivirus.
- Under status, click on a program, enable and select disable.
- Click apply then ok.
5. Remove unused sofwares- Sometimes, we install different softwares which are not even useful to us. These softwares i am talking about, it might be that we used it for just once. It is recommended to remove them.
- Open the Run window
- Type Control Panel
- Under Programs, click Uninstall a Program.
- Look through for programs that are not useful, select it and click uninstall/change to remove it from your computer.
You can also use toolbar cleaner to automatically remove some software that does not need to run.
Download Toolbar Cleaner
6. Cleanup your Disk- Disk Cleanup is windows tool which removes the unwanted files such as system logs, System errors memory dump, Archived error files etc.
- Goto My computer or This Pc
- Select C drive
- Right-click > Properties
- Locate disk cleanup and click.
- A new window will pop up, check files you do not want and click ok.
This process will optimize your disk speed, and its performance.
7. Conduct Disk Defragmentation – Memory chunks is being loaded when we use a program on the computer which are created for program execution, After we close the program, these chucks remains there and called fragmented files. So you have to delete these files by conducting disk defragmentation.
- Open My Computer.
- Right-click the local disk volume that you want to defragment > Properties > Tools tab > click Defragment Now.
- Click Defragment
8. Registry Cleaning and Defragmentation – We have to clean older settings and data. You can do this manually or use Registry Cleaning Tools. The Manual process is not recommended but the use of the Registry Cleaning Tools is recommended.
Download Ccleaner here to clean the registry.
9. Browser Tuneup- Various browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome may be become slower due to many Add-on, Extension, or Toolbar, for you to optimize the browser you have to remove ads and toolbar.
To Reset Internet Explorer
- Go to control panel.
- Network and Internet > Internet option > Advanced
To Remove Extensions from Google Chrome
- Go to Settings
- Remove all the Extensions.
10. Update all Drivers- You need to update some drivers for better performance, if there is any update available install them.
- Open Run Window
- Type “devmgmt.msc” and hit Enter. This opens device manager window.
- Expand the List
- Select Driver > Right Click
Update Driver Software > Search automatically for update.